Calgary Real Estate Market Trends
Calgary has long been considered one of the best cities in Canada to live. In the past 10 years, the strength of the area's oil & gas economy have created an incredible environment for lifestyle and real estate investment, a trend analysts expect will continue as the price of oil recovers.
While Calgary's real estate market is far more resilient to commodity prices than it once was, the city is not immune. Despite home sales showing Yr/Yr declines ranging between ten and forty percent in 2015, most home prices have not dropped by more than three or four percent. In fact, in the under $500,000 price range, most homes are selling for the same or more than they did in the same period in 2014.
Calgary Real Estate Market: January 2016 Stats
Calgary now a Buyer's Market in all price ranges
- The Median Detached Home Sale Price was $457,500, down 4.8% from Jan. 2015
- The Average Detached home sale price was $520,871 down 0.8% vs. Jan. 2015
- The Median apartment sale price was $251,000 down 6.7% vs. Jan. 2015
- The Average apartment sale price was $281,288 down 8.2% from Jan. 2015
- Average Days on Market (DOM) was 48 Days for detached Calgary homes sold vs. 37 days last January. Average DOM for Calgary apartment listings was 59 days vs. 55 days last January.
- There were 594 detached homes & apartments sold on the Calgary MLS® System in Jan 2016, 14% fewer than the same period last year. 465 detached Calgary homes sold last month, 13% fewer than last January. There were 129 Calgary apartments sold, 16% less than the same period last year *Sales reflect residential metro Calgary MLS® system sales only*
- There are 5.4 months of detached Calgary home inventory on the market, 1% fewer listings than the same time last year. Apartment condo inventory is now 9.6 months of supply vs. 7.8 months last January. Listing inventory reflects the time required to sell all current listings if no additional listings were added
- Absorption rate for detached Calgary homes was 18% in January vs. 21% last year.
Calgary apartment condos had a 10% absorption rate last month vs. 13% last year.
- Last month 6% of all detached homes sales in Calgary sold for list price or higher. By comparison, last January 12% of all detached homes sales were at or above list price
Search for Calgary Homes:
Calgary Market Forecast 2016
(January 15 2016): Calgary's Real Estate Board CREB® released their Market Forecast for 2016 earlier this week, predicting a sluggish market for the first half of the year.
CREB® predicts sales of Calgary homes and condos will decrease 2.2% this year. Detached home sales are expected to drop 2.5%, attached homes by 1.5%, and apartments by 2.0%.
CREB's annualized benchmark price is projected to fall in all three sectors:
- Detached Calgary home prices to fall by 3.2%,
- Attached Calgary home prices to fall by 3.5%,
- Calgary apartment condo prices to fall by 4.2% from 2015 levels
Until the price of oil finds a bottom, home and apartment prices will be weaker across all price ranges. Higher valued properties will be under more price pressure than more affordable homes.
First-time and move-up buyers have the opportunity to choose from a great selection of properties at historically low interest rates. Timing the bottom of the market is a dangerous game, as analysts expect significantly higher oil prices by the second half of 2016.
Seller's are advised to work with a real estate professional they trust, and strategize as regards to timing and pricing.
It's not just Calgary home for sale listings that are performing well, either. Alberta's booming economy attracts workers from all over the country in the oil and high tech sectors, pushing up demand for all types of property. Calgary is now second in the nation to Toronto for its concentration of corporate head offices, with investment return for downtown property commonly topping 50 per cent. Calgary is also the nation leader for industrial real estate return.
Property Market Trend
Calgary property is in high demand, and the average Calgary home is now selling in just 35 days *Sept 2014*. Many of the hottest properties only remain on the MLS® System a day or so before they are sold, as buyers seek to close the deal with as little competition as possible. If you're in the market for a Calgary home for sale, and want a leg up on other buyers, consider working with a qualified Calgary real estate agent - it's a decision that will save you considerable time and money.
Please fill out our contact form, or call 403-703-2404 for assistance anytime you need to know more about Calgary real estate or any property that interests you. When you're ready to take the next step toward purchasing a home, we're here to help.
Return to Home Page - Calgary Real EstateSW Calgary Real Estate Listings SE Calgary Listings NW Calgary Real Estate Listings